[Radiance-general] Help - Radiance / LEED

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Wed Apr 13 08:47:22 PDT 2011

Hi Ignacio,

You can indeed calculate the values you need for the LEED daylight credit documentation with Radiance. To be clear, Radiance by default calculates, well, radiance, in w/sr/m^2. This can be converted to luminance (cd/m^2). Now, to get the info you need for LEED, you need to tell Radiance to calculate irradiance instead of radiance, and convert that to lux or footcandles as needed. To do this you would specify the –I (capitol i) option to rtrace, which is the Radiance tool you'd use to calculate values for a grid of points, and then multiply the rgb irradiance values by V lambda. There are plenty of examples in the list archives of little scripts and commands to send Radiance a grid of points and do these calculations and make the proper conversions to the photometric values.

Rob Guglielmetti  IESNA, LEED AP
Commercial Buildings Research Group
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Blvd MS:RSF202