[Radiance-general] Talk: "A Decade of Radiance Tricks"

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Sat Apr 9 08:28:30 PDT 2011

Terrance,

Those are good questions. In lieu of actual machinery that would
return real reflectances, I'd had to come up with a scheme that
would get get me close. The basis of the scheme is that RGB
screen values aren't reflectances, and they shouldn't be treated
as such.

I'll normalize to 0.8 or 0.9 because there is no real "pure
white" in real life. Even white paint is rarely over 0.8. And
with models with complicated geometry, even 0.8 requires a hefty
number of ambient bounces to balance the energy---light really
can penetrate into some deep spaces with 0.8. Consider that with
a reflectivity of 0.9, only 10% of the energy is killed after
every bounce, and you'll see that -ab will need to be
prohibitively high to get an accurate rendering. And I choose
Radiance for its accuracy, but I haven't got all month for a
result.

The squaring of the result is to push the values down closer to
zero. Most of the interesting colors are in the 0.2 range, and
that's just a hack to get closer. I am sure there's a better way,
but that's easy to remember and quick to compute.

Mark