[Radiance-general] Radiance pmap extension on Windows

Jan Wienold jan.wienold at ise.fraunhofer.de
Fri Apr 1 08:46:48 PDT 2011

Hi all,

the current status of pmap is:

I have a patched version to on of the latest  head release (of December
I guess). I've already tested it and made some validations. This looks fine.
I will put it on the server soon (by end of next week or the week after).

For those of you who are using daysim: I've also tested a pmap-version
of daysim! This works in principle (I already used it for a project),
but before releasing some small issues must be fixed first. This will
need maybe another 4 weeks.

BUT: The windows compilation haven't been done or tested....

Best,

Jan

Lars O. Grobe wrote:
> Hi Valère!
>
>> I am using desktop radiance2.0b on windows. As I need to simulate a room
>> with a deep lightpipe, I would like to use the photon map but I can't
>> find
>> any version of it I can use on windows.
>
> I think it would be worth to find out the status of the current
> attempts to update the photon map extension to the Radiance 4.x code
> base. I am not sure whether Jan or anyone else involved at Fraunhofer
> ISE is reading, but probably they are the only ones who know about the
> project.
>
> First, I would immediately stop using Desktop Radiance. We are in 2011
> now, and I think the old releases are interesting mostly for
> historical reasons now.
>
> Second, I do not know how well a patched Radiance 3.7 (the latest
> official patch of the pmap) compiles on Windows. It used to work find
> on Mac OS, but Windows is quite different from everything else. You
> may still consider to use a virtual machine (e.g. Virtualbox,
> available for free) to get a complete Linux environment on a Windows
> machine.
>
> Third, as I am doing some experiments on light pipes and the pmap, I
> would really be curious whether we will have some validation data once
> a Radiance 4.x pmap is to be released. There used to be caveats which
> I am still trying to understand.
>
> I imagine that once we have a complete pmap patch for Radiance 4.x,
> people will get it useable in cygwin & Co., too. Still, probably it
> would make sense to get your hands on a Linux installation for now.
> And using a virtual machine is the easiest way to go for people not
> having access to a native installation.
>
> Cheers, Lars.
>
> btw: I changed the subject line, please make sure to avoid subject
> lines such as "Re: [Radiance-general] Radiance-general Digest..." when
> replying.

Dr.-Ing. Jan Wienold
Project Manager
Fraunhofer-Institut für Solare Energiesysteme
Thermal Systems and Buildings, Lighting and Daylighting
Heidenhofstr. 2, 79110 Freiburg, Germany
Phone: +49(0)761 4588 5133 Fax:+49(0)761 4588 9133
jan.wienold at ise.fraunhofer.de
http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de

In office:
Mo,Tue: 8:30-18:00