[Radiance-general] Diffusive laminated material and fritting

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Oct 28 09:09:46 PDT 2010

Hi Giovanni,

The glaze script supports an IGU with (2) glass layers only. As I
understand from Greg who developed this for us originally, the math
starts to get a lot more complicated with a 3rd glass layer. This does
not mean that it cannot be done but it would need to be implemented. I
guess there are a few things to understand with the glaze script. What
you want to get out of Optics 5 is Radiance material exports NOT for the
full IGU makeup but instead for each layer of the makeup. Then you can
use the transmittance and reflectance data for the exported materials to
build material definitions for 2 layer glazing makeups where a coating
can be allocated to one surface and a frit to another (note you cannot
have both frit and coating applied to the same surface because we do not
know how to characterized that). Regarding the interlayer, I think what
I would suggest is that (assuming a clear interlayer) is to make up the
composite in Optics 5 (eg 2 glass materials with an interlayer) and then
export this as a glass layer.

Regarding Ming-w, I am sorry that I am not really familiar with
compiling or running Radiance in this way, so I do not really know why
things might not be found. Note that glaze is a shell script like
falsecolor for example, so if you have falsecolor then glaze "should" be
available and work...

-Jack

PS: you could also take a look at my talk at the 2009(?) Radiance
Workshop at Harvard, which talks a bit about glaze and some other tools.

--
# Jack de Valpine
# president