[Radiance-general] RE: ECOTECT

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:03:11 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:49 AM, alexis Loubeyre
<aloubeyre2 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> if the results are different, which version should i trust?

None. Never 'trust' a software. Always try to understand what's going on
and why the results are as they are. If you expected something else (from
experience or from a previous test calculation) then you should get
suspicious and investigate what's different.

> I've got my 3d model in Ecotect, I export my model to radiance (the grid in
> fact) , run the calculation and display results in Ecotect.

I'm sure you export also the geometry; otherwise you wouldn't be able
to run a Radiance calculation. Are you starting the Radiance commands
manually or is everything done 'behind' Ecotect?

When Ecotect exports to Radiance it creates a *.bat file that contains
the commands for Radiance. Can you locate this file and the other
Radiance files (*.rad and *.rif) for both exports?

> My model is a large floor for an office, one part of this office can't
> receive any external lights, my room is 30 m depth with only one side (SE)
> with windows.
> With Ecotect v5, in the back of the room i've 0.2 where with Ecotect 2011
> i've 3.2 for the DF.

>From the description of the room I'd say that 3.2% DF are way out. Even
0.6 seem quite high if the only windows are 30 meters (!) away. However,
I don't know the room reflectances or the size of the window.

When you import the DF results back into Ecotect and show them as
colour plots does the distribution seem right in both cases (bright near
the window, continuous drop to the back)? Are there any bright areas
where they shouldn't be?

Regards,
Thomas