[Radiance-general] Rtcontrib-BSDF and DAYSIM-pmap: where are we heading?

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Mon May 10 07:11:08 PDT 2010

Fellows,

The intention here is to try to envisage what the software landscape
might be like in five / ten years time, at least for Radiance users
doing climate-based (i.e. annual) daylight modelling, perhaps
including complex glazing systems.

Jan Wienold mentioned a while back that a photon-mapping Radiance add-
on (I assume pmap) is in the works, and that it would be integrated
with DAYSIM for annual simulations. Greg Ward has recently
demonstrated the rtcontrib-BSDF approach that seems to offer similar
functionality.

So, are we being presented with a fork in the road ahead?  If so, how
will we decide which path to take?  Is now perhaps the right time to
consider working-up a checklist of capabilities/strengths/weaknesses
for the two approaches?

I don't believe that we are too far away from seeing metrics founded
on climate-based daylight modelling appearing in guidelines such as
LEED etc.  In which case, there could be something of a scramble as
potentially many, many new Radiance users join what is still a fairly
small bunch of 'enthusiasts' doing annual simulations.  It think it
would be useful to get this discussion on the go sooner rather than
later.

Best,

-John

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK