[Radiance-general] Components don't show up

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Mon May 10 02:58:34 PDT 2010

Chris,

Xform2 is an additional program that IES created.  Similar to xform,
IES uses xform2 to create rectangles of arbitrary dimension for, it
seems, use as workplanes (and perhaps other functions).  It does this
by applying arbitrary scaling in the x and y dimensions
(independently) on a unit square polygon (z = 0.8) and translating the
output to the desired location in the scene.  In addition to the usual
xform options, xform2 has -sx and -sy to perform the scaling in the x
& y dims.

I came across this IES peculiarity when transferring IES created
geometry to other platforms for simulation using standard (UNIX)
Radiance.  In those instances it was simply a matter of stripping out
the xform2 commands, which didn't affect the building geometry since
their use was confined to generating workplanes.  However, from the
error messages that you posted it seems that xform2 is being used for
more general transformations where xform would suffice.  Perhaps IES
have replaced xform with their own xform2. As an aside, I'm surprised
to see any form of xform/2 command used for general building geometry
created in IES because I expected its 3D modeller to create explicit
geometry (for all but the workplanes).

-John

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK