[Radiance-general] import to Radiance

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed May 5 09:10:18 PDT 2010

Hi Jia,

Here are a few additional pointers on obj from revit.

NORMALS
For whatever reason it seems that fbx converted to obj using the FBX
converter can for some normals report:

    vn 0 0 0

which make obj2rad unhappy.

So the best thing that I have found is generally to take the convert
fbx->obj file and process it through something like Rhino, Polytrans,
NuGraf, or Blender (other suggestions out there...). Which have
functionality to recalculate normals and otherwise process meshes/polygons.

MATERIALS
First off as I believe some others have pointed. Material information
from other programs is useless! They do not report valid reflectance
information. The only thing that you should hope to get is that the
geometry is organized by material name.

A stock conversion from fbx->obj will for what ever reason organize
geometry by object name! This is despite the fact that there is a valid
usemtl statement in the obj file. This can be ok however it does mean
that you probably need to have some kind of parser to do some material
mapping in a useful way (there can be hundreds of object names). I did
this in perl early on in my experience processing Revit models into
something useable by Radiance. However, this all can be better managed
by processing the fbx->obj file through Rhino, Polytrans, NuGraf or
Blender where you can process the file and send out an obj with normals
and material groupings that make you and Radiance happy.

Best,

-Jack

--
# Jack de Valpine