[Radiance-general] import from other software

Jia Hu hujia06 at gmail.com
Sat May 1 10:37:30 PDT 2010

Thank you very much, Thomas and all the other experts!  Through your
explanation, I am more clear about the usage of this command.

Only one question about the surface normal you mentioned. Genrbox and other
functions have option to determine the surface normal.  For polygon, does
the surface normal affect the materials? i.e. the sequence of vertex in
command Polygon will determine which face has the material.

In .obj file, the face with vertex index 1, 2 and 3 and face with vertex
index 3, 2 and1 should have opposite normals,  So are the materials added to
the two surfaces are different. Is that right? I just copy a simple obj
file to help you understand my problem. It is a wall (10' by 20').

#
# Wavefront OBJ file
# Created with Kaydara FBX
#
mtllib f02.mtl
g Basic_Wall_Foundation___12__Concrete__146504_
v -0.000000 -0.500000 0.000000
v 40.000000 -0.500000 0.000000
v 40.000000 -0.500000 20.000000
v -0.000000 -0.500000 20.000000
v 0.000000 0.500000 0.000000
v 0.000000 0.500000 20.000000
v 40.000000 0.500000 20.000000
v 40.000000 0.500000 0.000000
vt 0.000000 20.000000
vt 0.000000 0.000000
vt 40.000000 0.000000
vt 40.000000 20.000000
vt -40.000000 20.000000
vt -40.000000 0.000000
vt -0.000000 0.000000
vt -0.000000 20.000000
vt 0.000000 40.000000
vt 0.000000 0.000000
vt 1.000000 0.000000
vt 1.000000 40.000000
vt 0.000000 20.000000
vt 0.000000 0.000000
vt 1.000000 20.000000
vt 0.000000 40.000000
vt 1.000000 40.000000
vn -0.000000 -1.000000 0.000000
vn 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
vn 0.000000 0.000000 -1.000000
vn 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
vn 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
vn -1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
vn 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
vn 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000  (this all zeros casue errors when using
obj2rad)
usemtl Concrete___Cast_in_Place_Concrete
f 4/1/4 1/2/1 2/3/2
f 2/3/2 3/4/3 4/1/4
f 7/5/7 8/6/8 5/7/5
f 5/7/5 6/8/6 7/5/7