[Radiance-general] Anyone else using Rhino?

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Fri Jun 11 10:21:18 PDT 2010

I have been wanting to write a rhino script to export to rad format directly from Rhino for a while now, but never have the time (or detailed knowledge of rhino script). An option to export materials by layer name for models where material names are not already defined (or not defined consistently) has also been my desire. This would save the typical go-between of exporting from Rhino to obj then obj2rad.

On the other hand, the obj2rad step is not very time consuming and usually works well. I also like doing things via obj2rad from Sketchup anyway. No offense to the su2rad plugin, but it makes file structure more consistent regardless of what software the geometry comes from. With that considered, maybe a rhino script to copy layer names to the material names would be just as useful and easier, and just stick with the obj export method.