[Radiance-general] Daylighting Society

Zack Rogers zrogers at ideasi.com
Tue Jun 8 15:46:51 PDT 2010

Hi Jill,

I believe IESNA is trying to have a stronger presence in daylighting.
For the past 6 years or so they have had a Daylighting Institute along
with a Lighting Institute which occurs for 2 days before the exhibit
hall opens at LightFair.  This includes two days of daylighting specific
presentations and relates to the "Daylighting Pavilion" they now
distinguish on the LightFair floor.  From 2004 - 2006ish there was also
a loose daylighting forum at LightFair organized by New Buildings
Institute (I believe) where industry representatives got together to
discuss the state of affairs.  Not much came from that and it fizzled.
There is also two IESNA committees focused on daylighting - the
daylighting committee (chaired by Kostas Papamichael and working on a
Daylighting RP-5) and the daylight metrics subcommittee (chaired by Lisa
Heschong and working on a dynamic daylight metric).  This year, as part
of a Daylighting Plus research project and the metric subcommittee
efforts, there was a new Daylighting Forum held at the end of LightFair
for 2 days.  Many of the who's who in daylighting attended and there
were good general discussions about the state of affairs for
daylighting, the need for metrics for a variety of code applications,
and the idea of making it a more regular forum came up - though nothing
concrete that I know of.

I'd like to see a daylighting forum continue as part of IESNA's
daylighting institute, and I'd like to see it occur in combination with
the classes during the LightFair event.  Alternatively, perhaps there
should be or already is a strong daylighting component to the CIE
activities.  I know there is some activity relative to climate based
daylight simulation but am not as familiar with CIE activities.

Cheers,

Zack