[Radiance-general] Specular Reflections with the Daylight Coefficient Method

Kevin Thuot kthuot at mit.edu
Tue Jun 1 06:50:05 PDT 2010

Hi,
I'm trying to use the daylighting coefficient method (using rtcontrib) to
get annual simulation results for a room equipped with a mirrored
daylighting system (like a light shelf, for example). Is this possible? I
know that by using the -dr option, Radiance will create virtual light
sources to account for specular reflections of direct light from the sun.
However, since the daylight coefficients are calculated using a blank sky
having a uniform luminance distribution, there is no sun for the -dr option
to find. I believe this would make the sky patch coefficients come out lower
than they should be because the specular direct reflection of the sun would
not be included, but my understanding of how the program works may not be
correct.

Can the daylight coefficient method be made to work with specular
reflections in Radiance, or is this not possible given the way the program
is implemented?

Thanks,
Kevin Thuot