[Radiance-general] Spectrophotometer Data to Radiance Surface Descriptions

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 13:40:50 PDT 2010

Hi Randolph,

I believe I had a script or .cal file or something at one time to
compute the specularity from separate "specular included" and
"specular excluded" measurements, but I can't find it.  The
calculation is pretty simple, though.  Just subtract the "excluded"
from the "included" Y values and divide by the the "included" Y
measurement to get the specular percentage for a metallic material
with colored highlights.  For a plastic material, the specular
fraction is the "included" minus the "excluded" Y over 100 (assuming a
0-100% scale for Y).

The material color is the "included" Yxy converted to RGB for metal,
and the "excluded" Yxy converted to RGB for plastic.  The conversions
are given in ray/src/cal/cal/xyz_rgb.cal.  You can quickly spit out
the matrix coefficients for this conversion using:

	rcalc -n -f xyz_rgb.cal -o cmat.fmt

Best,
-Greg