[Radiance-general] Re: Prismatic glazings

Axel Jacobs jacobs.axel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 03:12:11 PDT 2010

Hi Marija,

> First question is where to find valid optical and geometrical data related
> to prismatic glazings. On various manufacturers' sites, like Siteco or
> Inglas, there is only some descriptive info ,without any data useful for
> simulations. I've found that some measuremens have been taken by Martin
> Moeck few years ago for Siteco glazings. Are results available somewhere?

I can't answer any of your technical questions, but I spoke to a Siteco
rep a few months ago. I ask her about Radiance cal files for their fancy
glazing. Her reply was that Siteco do have Radiance descriptions of
their advances glazing products, but are 'very reluctant' to give them
to anybody.

Her explanation to this was that in order to get that advanced glazing
working correctly, the optimum orientation of the panels needs to be
determined based on window orientation and slope. It is quite easy to
get this wrong, in which case the product would actually reduce the
daylight rather than improving it. Subsequently, Siteco's product would
appear to be rubbish.

With this in mind, Siteco do free-of-charge calculations when you decide
to go with one of their products, making sure that if someone gets it
wrong, it'll be them.

Cheers

Axel