[Radiance-general] rtrace

Jia Hu hujia06 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:28:11 PDT 2010

Dear Radiance experts:

I plan to calculate illuminance of an office model by using multiprocessing
(6 processors). I saw some posts discussing about this
problems (e.g.
http://www.rumblestrip.org/interests/light/rtrace-multiprocessing-option-initial-test-results/
).

(1) I have some questions about the usage of rtrace. There are two options
"i", "I" (one lower i and one upper i). I checked the manual page.
but I am still confused with their difference.

(2) What is the option "-h" (in rtrace) used for? I run several times but do
not see any header information.

(3) There are interior blinds installed. If I first use mkillum to make the
window as a secondary light source, and then run rtrace, in this case the
program runs twice to get the illuminance value. Does this way make running
faster than directly using rtrace (only once)?  I input the model from
Revit and thus the window object is connected in the .rad file and therefore
It is not easy to use mkillum (To use mkillum requires either (1) not
to import window from revit and to generate window in Radiance or (2) cut
and paste the window .rad to a separate .rad file?)

(4) For mutiprocessing, besides the option "-n",  is there any other
options I should pay attention to? I use Python script, and should I set
other
options related to Python itself?

As always, thank you for your help.

Jia