[Radiance-general] Re: rtrace and parallel processes

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 13:02:53 PDT 2010

Hi Cramer,

You don't need to "pregenerate" the ambient file for rtrace purposes,
but you can.  The disadvantage is that it will take about as long to
pregenerate the file as it does to run rtrace, though the subsequent
run should go very fast.

Sharing values via an ambient file with -aa non-zero allows parallel
processing to actually work in Radiance.  It doesn't require a
precalculation, though.  The only reason to do that is to get slight
more accurate and/or smoother results.

Cheers,
-Greg