[Radiance-general] Create constant radiance image

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Jan 6 11:13:32 PST 2010

> There is no agreed-upon weighting for radiance values, only luminance

Of course (duh)!  I get so used to working between irradiance and
illuminance using luminous efficacy models that I occasionally forget
some of the R(r)adiance basics.  Nonetheless, to avoid confusion in
the future, might I suggest an update to the ximage manpage?  Perhaps
something like:

<return> 		Display the mean RGB radiance averaged over the area of
interest.  [For a single value, the mean seems less arbitrary than the
maximum value for any one of the channels.  Otherwise, some indication
of what the current behaviour is.]
l 			Display the photometrically-weighted RGB luminance value in the
area of interest. This assumes that the image was correctly computed
in terms of luminance.
Then again, if I'm the only person who's been bamboozled by this, it's
probably not worth the mods to the man page.
-John
Dr. John Mardaljevic
Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK