[Radiance-general] Annual illuminance simulation anomaly

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:16:50 PST 2010

Hi David,

In the case of "cnuhw.png," it looks like you are specifying a
horizontal irradiance due to direct solar that is pretty high all the
way to sunset.  Since the direct horizontal is proportional to the
sine of the solar altitude, and this goes to zero as the sun nears the
horizon, the corresponding radiance of the sun has to increase
dramatically to compensate.

A more realistic scenario would have the direct horizontal component
dropping to zero as the sun reaches the horizon.  My guess is that
your weather files aren't calibrated properly to the hour, or their
direct measurements actually include a significant diffuse component.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Cheers,
-Greg