[Radiance-general] window glass modeling

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Dec 29 05:45:40 PST 2010

Hi Milan!

>> It will still be useful to render some views (plan view, perspectives) to
>> understand what is going on. Artefacts due to ambient settings not adapted to
>> e.g. you fenestration become evident when you look at a splotchy image, but
>> may be difficult to understand from some few illuminances.
>
> Thank you for advice. This is useful.

As Marija wrote, you can also just put a grid of sensor points into the
scene. The background of my proposal was that a rpict-generated image
may be useful to track problems in the scene, even though the irradiance
values you get would certainly be affected by the geometry added as a
working plane (which is not necessary when using a grid as rtrace
input). So if you take this approach, do not compare the results of a
rendered image including work plane geometry to sensor point
illuminances rendered without such geometry - they must be different.
But look out for suspicous shadows, splotches, noise, gradients that
look too smooth or not as smooth as you would expect it from the
geometry. Do all the basic checks (Afternoon sun coming in from
East...?) to find out whether the model is ok, this may help avoid a lot
of trouble. For illuminance readings, you will have to remove the work
plane geometry before running rtrace.

>> You need only one glass pane. Same as in real. The only pitfall is that,
>> without mkillum, you would get a lot of noise at acceptable ambient settings,
>> or never ending rendering times. So just use a mkillum surface at your glass
>> pane, and on the inner side of the blinds.
>
> I know that I have to use mkillum surface at my glass pane, I just forgot to
> write it. Thank you anyway. But, how can I use mkillum surface on the inner side
> of the blinds?

As long as the blinds are outside the glass, everything is fine and you
can use the glass surface as an mkillum input. If you ever should have
to render a model with blinds on the inner side of the window, it is
important to remember that the mkillum pane has to be inside the
complicated geometry to precalculte.

> Please, can you explain me this: "render illuminance on a work plane (maybe you
> put a desk surface into your model) using rpict -i".

As you may already know, rpict per default gives you an image according
to choosen projection, which means it results in an array of luminance
values. You may however use the -i switch to get an image showing
irradiance values on the visible surfaces. Using falsecolor, you can get
a quick idea on how illuminance is distributed over the surfaces of your
scene.

Cheers, Lars.