[Radiance-general] Instances

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 09:33:03 PST 2010

Hi Lucio,

If you are executing in parallel on a shared memory machine, are you using the -PP option to rtrace (or rpict)?  This can help to reduce memory, especially on jobs where you are loading in a substantial ambient file to start.

Another approach is to abandon ambient caching entirely, which makes sense in scenes where you have a lot of important detail, but what's most important about it is the aggregate behavior.  I think your problem falls into that category.  Unfortunately, whatever -a* settings you have worked out will have to be rethought when you do this.  I should have a good guide for how to set these parameters, but you basically start by setting -aa 0, at which point -af, -ar, and -aw settings become irrelevant (no caching), and the -ad and -as settings should be changed.  You also should look at the -lw and -lr settings, because they will have a strong influence over how deep the ray tree is explored.

Axel Jacobs offers a brief treatment of these settings on page 12 of his rtcontrib tutorial, currently linked at:

	http://luminance.londonmet.ac.uk/learnix/docs/rtcontrib_lesson.pdf

It's probably worth a try.  I use -aa 0 routinely when modeling blind systems in mkillum, for example.

Best,
-Greg