[Radiance-general] glaze script limitation

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 08:01:12 PST 2010

Hi François,

I gave this a little more thought after letting the problem sink in, and I don't see now why you couldn't do as you suggested and add a glazing to the database that contains your desired properties.  You would have to "lie" and tell the script that one of your two surfaces was glass, then pick your new entry as the other surface, but the result should be accurate.  The glaze script actually ends up using the specified non-glass surface parameters in its calculations -- the glass surface is just there as a reference.

The other thing I said is still true -- namely, that we can't practically offer all the possible pairings of surface coatings because they would balloon the database, but if you don't mind adding your own, I don't see why you can't do it that way with the current script.  We probably should offer an option to enter custom transmittances and front & back reflectance values for advanced users, and this wouldn't be too difficult to add.  I wonder if we could take pasted output from Optics, directly?  I don't know if they have a format that gives us the naked data, but I suppose we could extract it from the Optics output for Radiance.

Best,
-Greg