[Radiance-general] glaze script limitation

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Dec 15 03:42:49 PST 2010

Hi all!

> The trouble is one of combinatorics.  Unless we incorporate a
> database containing all the possible front and back coating
> combinations, or a model like Optics has for computing the combined
> effect, we can't produce the correct output.  What we really need is
> a more general glazing modeler that can account for every possible
> configuration and produces a reliable Radiance material.  Maybe
> Window6 will provide this at some point, but we aren't there, yet.

A related question... is anyone aware of tools compareable to Optics and
Window that follow a more open approach of software? I have to boot into
a Windows installation (and Windows does not easily boot in virtual
machines any more since Vista) each time I want to start one of these
tools, which even require administrator rights to install on a Windows
machine. Unfortunately it looks as no attempt had been made at all
during development to separate the database, calculation and
GUI/controller code, so I do not expect these tools to become more open
or platform independent. So did you ever come accross any development in
these fields?

Cheers, Lars.