[Radiance-general] behaviour of multiple source objects in one scene

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sun Aug 22 14:39:38 PDT 2010

Hi folks,

after how many gensky-calls I start to wonder - what does it mean to
have to source objects (sky & sun) in one scene?

Having one source is easy to get - it takes the bounding box of the
scene and catches all rays that leave it. Having two....? Is it that the
order the source objects are defined determine their "diameter"? The
typical example is the sky and sun combination, both of type source.
Usually I have the gensky-output first including the sun disk, and the
hemispheres for sky and ground after that (and added by hand). Does this
mean that, because of their order in the scene description, the sun
source is "inside" the sky source? And does it make a difference whether
the source objects are modified by light or by glow? So if I could
handle the sun as glow, would it still "override" the sky background
because of the order of its definition?

Sorry for not finding this out myself now in the source code, maybe
someone can shed some light on this?

Cheers, Lars.