[Radiance-general] Re: convert camera exposure to radiance

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 18 14:04:23 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-18 04:07:52 -0700, jelle feringa said:

> I'd like to do the inverse, and use my camera as an approximate
> radiance / lux / candela measuring device.
> I realize this is pretty approximate, but that will do for now.

See Kodak's "Estimating Luminance and Illuminance With Reflection-Type
Exposure Meters and an 18% Neutral Test Card" at
<http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/am105/am105kic.pdf>

Since

modern digital cameras record their exposures, the gray card is
unnecessary, and the calculation can be automated, as Greg has done in
Photosphere. One thing to keep in mind is that a camera exposure
calculation may use different spectral weights than a luminance meter.

Randolph