[Radiance-general] Radout

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sat Aug 7 00:53:05 PDT 2010

Hi!

First, I would recommend dxf2rad, not torad or radout.

Second, modelers ar great, but often lack precision you need for
building models. You do not need nurbs for most architectural
simulation, but good precision. That is why I mentioned formz, maybe
Rhino offers the same. Blender is not made for this (but good for
conversion and such, as it supports quite a lot of formats and
geometry functions).

I had mentioned the option to use brlcad for one simple reason.
Autocad is popular, but a horror for people who want to keep their
project data in standard formats. They change format support from
version to version and keep the dwg format closed and it's development
unpredictable. Keeping only the geometry (obj) is not a good solution.
So I have been looking for options to link Radiance to open and
standardized formats. IGES is one, STEP another. A lot of Cad software
supports these. And as brlcad can convert them into obj on the command-
line, it is possible to keep all geometry in such Cad formats and
convert on the fly. I think for people who want to access their
projects 10 years later a great advantage, and the only reason I
mention it here.

About texteditors, it depends on the project. A lot of simulation
models require little detail, but high precision. And using genbox and
Co not only avoids leaks, but makes sure that you control surface
normal orientation. But it all depends on needed complexity of
geometry and on what you want to do with yor model.

Cheers, Lars.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Architect Lars O. Grobe