[Radiance-general] Re: trans dashboard widget

Terrance Mc Minn t.mcminn at curtin.edu.au
Fri Apr 30 22:16:21 PDT 2010

Hi Andy,

It is very easy to throw Linux on a Mac if you have vmfusion
(www.vmware.com) or parallels
(http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/). From my own usage of
vmfusion, all you need to do is download the latest Ubuntu or Kubuntu
livecd (www.ubuntu.net - gnome desktop version or www.kubuntu.net for
the kde desktop version). Create a new virtual appliance, and set the cd
to point to the iso download. No need to allocate any virtual disks -
set memory to 1024 or better and go. (Best to have 2GB of memory or
better in the host computer or it will be very slow.)

Once running, go to the software download area and download/install
radiance from the repository or from the terminal use 'sudo apt-get
install radiance radiance-doc radiance-materials' to download and
install radiance.

Alternative images with radiance pre-installed can be found at
http://luminance.londonmet.ac.uk/ Learnix for Axel Jacob's version or my
own under the Curtin link - many thanks to Axel for hosting this for me.

By the way vmplayer - a free download for Linux and Windows, allows
Linux and Windows to run/create virtual appliances. This is how we teach
Radiance at Curtin on PC's running Windows XP/Pro.

*Terrance Mc Minn
**Lecturer
*School of Built Environment
Curtin University of Technology