[Radiance-general] advice for material modeling

Dan Glaser daniel at lightfoundryllc.com
Tue Apr 27 10:02:16 PDT 2010

Dear Jack and Lars,
   Thank you very much for the timely modeling advice-- yes, I can see
how calibrating the photographs can help with selecting the right color
for the stone and brick.  Also, thanks for the tips on color variation
strategies.
    I will let you know what I come up with for the texture.  I know its
a cross between an art and a science in doing so (e.g. see the "forest"
example below)-- just thought maybe someone have studied this material
before.  On a related note, have there been discussions on having a
material database at radiance-online/elsewhere?
   On a project where I had to quickly model how a forest would impact
the lighting on a facade, I hacked perforate.cal instead of trying to
model the actual trees (trunks, branches, needles, yuk).

This was the real scene:

http://www.lightfoundryllc.com/materials/forest/forest.jpg

and this was what was modeled:

http://www.lightfoundryllc.com/materials/forest/model.jpg

and the script I hacked:

http://www.lightfoundryllc.com/materials/forest/forest.cal

Given more time I would have tried to increase the density of the dot
pattern near the ground/etc.

- Dan

--
LF logo 	Daniel C. Glaser, PhD, LEED AP