[Radiance-general] Multiple spherical glow sources?

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Mon Sep 14 13:15:45 PDT 2009

Hello,

I am working on a star map for use with night renderings, and it
seems like it should be decomposed into two layers: one is a
high-resolution imagemap showing the stars themselves, the other
is a low-resolution "light map" that should be used to actually
illuminate the scene.

The problem is that I want the "light map" layer to do the
illumination, but I don't want it to be visible. I want the image
map to appear in the sky in the final rendering.

I know that I can use maxrad=-1 in the image map glow source to
prevent it from contributing to scene illumination, and maxrad=0
to allow the light map to illuminate. But mixfunc must be placed
between the colorpict and the glow source, forcing me to either
allow both to illuminate, or neither. But when the imagemap
contributes to illumination, the result is very noisy
(obviously).

This wouldn't be a problem if I could use two sky-dome sized glow
sources in the same scene: "skyglow source skydome 0 0 4 0 0 1
360". But Radiance only sees the last one to be defined.

And I can't make the light map into an "illum" because it then
gets treated as a point source at the zenith of my "source"
description (ignoring the 180-degree size of the source disc).

Do I need to add transparency to the imagemap before making it
into a rad=-1 glow source, so that when a ray is traced between
the stars, it hits the illuminating light map rad=0 glow source?
I am reluctant to include another circa-gigabyte imagemap to the
scene just for that.

Am I missing something else or is this impossible?

Mark

PS. Shouldn't the file size limit for colorpict images be raised?
I get a warning for using even a 134MB picture file. I intend to
go much larger.