[Radiance-general] Antimatter and windows

Zack Rogers zrogers at ideasi.com
Wed Sep 9 21:29:42 PDT 2009

Thanks for the insight Lars,

I had originally tried the box approach and moved onto the co-planar
surface approach as I felt like I was getting further.

Back to the box approach, I've been testing this out now on just a very
simple wall model and am seeing strange behavior.  From all viewing
directions, the shadow from my hole in the wall looks correct.  However,
when viewing the wall from one side it seems like I am seeing the inside
surfaces of my antimatter box as grey_0.60 but not the front surface.
At some view angles from the front side, the side of my antimatter box
disappear and I do get a glimpse through the wall.  From the other side
(shadow side), everything looks as I would expect.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcMF73k-1deIZGdkNmhja3BfOTdnejRjbTloaw
&hl=en
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcMF73k-1deIZGdkNmhja3BfOTVjamR4YnZkMw
&hl=en
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcMF73k-1deIZGdkNmhja3BfOTNmOHF6N2docA
&hl=en

The box was created with genbox and I double checked that all surface
normals are pointing outward.  I also tested other modifiers in my
antimatter definition and "void" and anything other than the wall
material did not do anything (disregard my earlier statement/question
about materials).

So several of my questions have been answered but there is still the
obvious artifacts in the rendering and I am still wondering about the
validity of this approach using rtrace.  Will it see random errors?

The file I am running for this test is:

void plastic grey_0.25
0
0
5            0.25          0.25          0.25
                0             0

void plastic grey_0.60
0
0
5             0.6           0.6           0.6
                0             0

void antimatter opening
1 grey_0.60
0
0

grey_0.60 polygon Space.10_Wall.38
0
0
12
    0.00    0.00    10.00
    0.00    0.00    0.00
    30.00    0.00    0.00
    30.00    0.00    10.00

!genbox opening hole 10 1 6 | xform -t 10 -.5 2

grey_0.25 polygon ground
0
0
12    -100    -100    -0.5
    100    -100    -0.5
    100    100    -0.5
    -100    100    -0.5

!gensky 3 20 10.5 -a 42.8326 -o 106.329 -m 105.0 +s | xform -rz 0.0

skyfunc glow skyglow
0
0
4 0.9 0.9 1.0 0