[Radiance-general] Re: geometry checker

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Sep 1 18:19:37 PDT 2009

Hi!

>     Is there a way/software to open a radiance geometry file in *.RAD
>     format and visually check the geometry for accuracy? Especially on
>     Windows OS when I do not have any form of Radiance installed?

Well, besides installing Radiance and using it to check geometry, you
can export your scenes to vrml(-1) and OpenInventor via the mgf-format,
all necessary filters are part of Radiance. There is also a converter
from Radiance into Wavefront OBJ, but it is limited to polygon objects
(works well for my scenes coming from CAD, but will not work with more
sophisticated geometry). For checking the resulting meshes, Meshlab may
be a good choice, as it allows to apply lots of filter to support you
finding errors in the mesh. It can read the mesh formats (as far as I
remember all three of them - obj, vrml-1, openinventor) exported from
Radiance and its filters.

Cheers, Lars.