[Radiance-general] Radiance installation on Mac OS X 10.5.6

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Sat Oct 31 09:44:59 PDT 2009

Hi David...

On Oct 31, 2009, at 10:23 AM, David Appelfeld wrote:

> Dear users,
> first of all I would like to thank you all for Radiance workshop in
> Cambridge. It was big pleasure to meet you all there and see what is
> going on and what is possible to do. It gave me lots of inspiration
> and big motivation to further work.

Inspiring is the word I feel always best sums up these Workshop
experiences.

> My question is about how to install Radiance on my Mac. ...

> What I did so far:
> I downloaded main distribution of Radiance from http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/framed.html
>  as well as binaries for Mac, then unpack them and copied the
> binaries to /usr/local/bin and libraries from ray/lib to /usr/local/
> lib/ray.

OK, you actually did double work there. If you downloaded the binaries
and put them in the proper place(s), and added those places to your
environment, you should already have a working installation of
Radiance. You ALSO downloaded the source code and did this:

> Then I was not sure what to do next so I tried to run command "./
> makeall install".

Here, you are actually trying to compile the source code -- in
essence, making your own copies of the binaries you already
downloaded. THe reason this didn't work (errors below) is because you
don't have a couple of the necessary utilities needed to compile
source. I recommend you DO learn to compile from source, since it's
fairly easy on the Mac and this gives you access to the latest-
greatest features of Radiance, some of which were demoed at the
Workshop. So, read on...

> But then there were some errors, as follows (copied from terminal):
> Making programs...
> /usr/local/lib/ray/src/common /usr/local/lib/ray/src
> In directory common...
> /usr/local/bin/rmake: line 2: exec: make: not found
> /usr/local/lib/ray/src
> /usr/local/lib/ray/src/rt /usr/local/lib/ray/src
> .
> In directory cal...
> /usr/local/bin/rmake: line 2: exec: make: not found
> /usr/local/lib/ray/src
> There were some errors.

OK, see the error "make: not found"? This is telling you that the make
program, which is essential to the entire compilation/installation
process, is not installed on your computer. What you need to do is
download and install the developer tools from Apple's website. It's
called XCode, and it's free, just a hefty download. Head here and grab
it:

http://developer.apple.com/TOOLS/Xcode/

Once that's installed (and you may need to register on the Apple
developer website before you can download it, I can't remember), you
should make sure you have the latest HEAD release along with the
support files and that they've been unpacked to one "ray" directory
structure. The instructions and download links for these two files are
located here:

http://www.radiance-online.org/software/

Scroll down to the section called "Download newer CVS snapshots from
this server", and grab radiance-HEAD.tgz, and rad3R9supp.tar.gz. Save
them in the same directory, and unpack them according to the
instructions on that page. Then change to that ray folder, and type
"sudo ./makeall install", give the admin password, and you're off to
the races. This process will compile the latest source and install
everything to the correct locations, overwriting the older binaries
you already put in there.

Next step is to --

(Mark Stock just posted the next step (the path stuff); I love this
list.)

BTW, I usually put the environment variables in my .profile, but the
default shell on OS X is BASH, so Mark's suggestion will work fine
too. As Mark said, post any other errors or issues here and we'll get
you going!

- Rob Guglielmetti