[Radiance-general] Solar Rays Tracing path

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Nov 4 18:35:44 PST 2009

Hi Neha!

> I want to generate Solar Ray Tracing path in Ecotect for solar reflectors.

I do not know much details on Ecotect. If you mean any kind of
non-planar, specular reflector, than the standard work-flow in Radiance
will not lead to good results. I think there are to options if you want
to simulate such a system using Radiance - one being the rtcontrib-tool
(which I have never used for such tasks), the other the photon map
extension, which is made exactly for such cases, but available only for
Radiance 3.7 at the moment.

In any way, you would not get a visualization of single rays. I am not
sure whether anyone ever developed some script to generate this (whould
be possible with rtrace by iterating through intersection points from
grid positions/directions). The typical target results for Radiance
users would be information on the illuminances reached on a work plane
by such a system.

> Can some one guide me on this.
> I have calculated this in Shading & Shadows analysis to <<Display Solar
> Rays>>. But the reflections are not proper.

Again, this seams to be some Ecotect-specific stuff. I have no idea what
they use for such calculations and whether they have the required
forward/bidirectional tracing algorithm implemented.

Another hint, many people out there use ASAP for such tasks as reflector
design and analysis.

Cheers, Lars.