[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance installation on Mac OS X 10.5.6

Randolph Fritz rfritz333 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 13:01:30 PST 2009

There have been many good answers here.  I think I will add one more.
This is a binary install procedure for all users of the system; there
is no need to recompile.

1. Download the following two files from the Radiance Online site:

rad3R9_macosx.tar.gz
rad3R9supp.tar.bz2

2. Double-click on both of them to unpack them.  These will create two
directories:
 rad3R9_macosx
 ray

3. Rename rad3R9_macosx to "bin" and move it into the "ray" directory.

4. Move "ray" to /usr/local.

5. Add the following lines to .bash_profile in your home directory:
 RAY=/usr/local/ray
 RAYBIN=/usr/local/ray/bin
 RAYPATH=.:$RAY/lib export RAYPATH
 MANPATH=$RAY/doc/man:$MANPATH export MANPATH
 PATH=$RAYBIN:$PATH export PATH

At this point, the software is installed.  To test the installation,
do the following steps:

1. Start a Terminal window.

2. Issue the command "cd /usr/local/ray/obj/cabin"

3. Issue the command "make"

If you are using Mac OS 10.5, I expect you will see an rvu window
appear.  It will not behave like a normal Mac GUI window, but that's
OK--that's how rvu works.

--
Randolph Fritz
  design machine group, architecture department, university of washington
rfritz at u.washington.edu -or- rfritz333 at gmail.com

When I find time, I'd like to write a Mac installer...