[Radiance-general] Rendering large space with small detail

Paul Chilton p.chilton at gmail.com
Mon May 18 17:19:54 PDT 2009

Hello,

I’m using Ecotect as the geometry interface and file generator to Radiance.

For day-lighting purposes, I’m modelling a large space which includes areas
of small detail. After many lengthy iterations (20+ hours for each
simulation) the best image I could generate is the image attached.

My problems are the splotchy nature of the light being reflected off the
ceiling space and the baffled louvers under the skylight. The render
settings that I used to generate the image are as follows;

  *-dp=*

*-ar=*

*-ms=*

*-ds=*

*-dt=*

*-dc=*

*-dr=*

*-sj=*

*-st=*

*-ab=*

*-af=*

*-aa=*

*-ad=*

*-as=*

*-av=*

*-lr=*

*-lw=*

512

128

3.4

0.3

0.1

0.5

1

0.7

0.1

8

RCP.amb

0.1

1023

512

0.01 0.01 0.01

6

0

I’ve increased the accuracy of the variables which I thought were critical
to the accuracy of this particular render. These were; ambient resolution
(ar), ambient bounces (ab), ambient accuracy (aa), ambient divisions (ad)
and ambient super-samples (as).

Is it a case of increasing the accuracy of these specific variables further
or is there an easier or quicker way to achieve better rendering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.