[Radiance-general] no output from optics2rad

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon May 11 15:53:25 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

Good glad it worked. It actually only just occurred to me that this
might be a way to get a well formated radiance description that rcalc
would be happy with. As Greg mentioned optics2rad calls on rcalc to do
most of the work. Rcalc is very sensitive to the input format that it
expects, unfortunately this can be a bit difficult to track down. Note I
did also do an export of some dummy data from optics5 and this went into
optics2rad without any problem. So it may be that if you are using some
intermediate script in your process that it is somehow munging the
format along the way. One simple thing to check for is if you have a
carriage return at the last line of the input file that your script is
generating or outputing for optics2rad processing.

-Jack

Chris Humann wrote:
> Thanks Jack,
>
> That was the silver bullet!    Despite reinstalling Greg's script I
> was still getting no where.   I use Textmate for all my radiance
> scripting and perhaps it was adding a hidden character somewhere that
> the c-shell didn't like.
>
> This is great, thanks again!
>
> Chris
>

> On May 11, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Jack de Valpine wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Try doing the following. Take the radiance output from optics5 and
>> run it through xform. For example:
>>
>>     xform optics_output_filename > my_glass.rad
>>     optics2rad my_glass.rad
>>
>> -Jack
>>

>> Chris Humann wrote:
>>> Hi Greg,
>>> Thanks for the response.  I did take out the glass descriptor for
>>> brevity.    I may have corrupted my optics2rad script somehow as
>>> it's still a no go even with the name changes you suggested.
>>> Chris

>> --
>> # Jack de Valpine
>> # president
>> #
>> # visarc incorporated
>> # http://www.visarc.com
>> #
>> # channeling technology for superior design and construction

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction