AW: [Radiance-general] Infrared scene simulation

Alexander Utz AlexanderUtz at web.de
Fri Jun 19 05:06:17 PDT 2009

Hi Greg,

first of all thank you for the last mail. Meanwhile I made some first tests and what I saw till now
seems to be quite promising for my needs. Unfortunately I still have some problems understanding
and handling the glow-reflection material mix. Maybe you can help me with this. So here is what I have done:

       # amount of radiation energy depends on the object's temperature and emissivity
                                # BB at T=21°C
        void glow glow_e1
        0
        0
        4 135.13 135.13 135.13 100

        This is my basic glow. 135.13W/m2/sr is about the radiation of a Blackbody at 21°C. I
        mixed this with some material the way you showed me:

        void mixfunc l_col040_
                4 glow_e1 col040_ e_plastic materials/emissivity.cal
                0
                0

         So the fraction of total radiation of the mixture from the Blackbody's one is applied here.

I rendered my scene and iradiance pictures and created the falsecolor picture and the distribution
of irradiance looks quite as I expected. Only surfaces which are not illuminated by other glows
appear absolutely "black", i.e. irradiance of 0. So it seems to me I only see reflection but not
the radiation emitted by the surfaces themselves.

I thought I might have to increase the max range of the glow so I gave a maxrad value of 10000
instead of 100. The result was that the total iradiance of the whole scene was limited to a tiny
fraction of the original one and this confused me completely.

So can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance and Best Regards

Alex