[Radiance-general] Shadow above highlight?

schwaj3 at rpi.edu schwaj3 at rpi.edu
Wed Jul 29 14:13:25 PDT 2009

These images are done using variations on:

rpict -bv- -ab 1 -dp 8192 -ar 256 -ms 0.033 -ds .07 -dt .05 -dc .75 -dr 3
-sj 1 -vf 0.vf -st .01 -aa .01 -ad 4096 -as 1024 -lr 24 -lw .0002

The reason I am only using -ab 1 instead of a higher number, is that I
originally started with a higher number when I noticed the strange
behavior. I figured if I could fix it on 1 bounce, that would fix it for
all higher bounces (and is faster to test). This is probably higher
settings than necessary for a decent output, but this shouldn't cause the
error to my knowledge.

==============Original message text===============
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:03:31 EDT Thomas Bleicher wrote:

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:41 PM, <schwaj3 at rpi.edu> wrote:
> I am fairly stumped as to what is going on here. I have a box with a
> square hole, 1/3 x 1/3 the width of the box, to allow sunlight into my room.

[...]

> This picture was rendered using -ab 1
> http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/radiancebox/radiance.jpg> You'll note on this image, that there is a strange shadow on the ceiling.
> I am unable to figure out why.

John. I can't really explain what's going on but have you tried to
increase your "-ab" value? This should provide you with a more
even light distribution.

You can probably also change other values like "-ad" or "-aa".
But you didn't comment on those so I can't say if there is potential.

Thomas