[Radiance-general] proposed feature: interpreting view names in rad

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed Jul 22 07:05:33 PDT 2009

Hi Lars,

> Jack wrote:
>
>> A view file is supposed to represent one (1) view. The last line of
>> the view file is considered to be the view spec.  Considering a view
>> file to be a collection of multiple views is counter productive.
>>

> Regarding the idea, that there should always be only one view per view
> file, this is a contradiction to the behaviour of core radiance tools.
> rvu e.g. appends views to an existing view file, and I can cat a view
> file with hundreds of views into rpict, which will happily render one by
> one. I cannot use these view-files only in rad, as (only) this tool
> reads only the last line of a view file.

I think that we have some disagreement here. Rpict reads a view file and
takes the last line of the file and uses that as the view parameters to
render. Rad is designed to pass named view parameters or view files to
rpict, if you want rad to do multiple views you can input multiple
"view=" lines in the rif file. By using "cat" you are using a unix tool
(outside the Radiance toolbox) to output each line of the file to
stdout, this is different than what rad does, and creates a different
expectation for what a viewfile contains, eg mapping of one view file to
one camera location vs mapping of one view file to many camera
locations.... Effectively a rif file serves as a way to group multiple
views to a particular octree definition, thus resulting in a mapping of
one file (a rif file) to many views by means of the rad tool.

If you have only three groupings of views why not just create three
separate rif files?

-Jack