[Radiance-general] Simulating light ray movement inside swimming pool water. Light sources not in the water

Sotiris Papantoniou sotos.enveng at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 18:17:16 PDT 2009

Dear list,

Hello my name is Sotiris Papantoniou MSc student of Welsh school of
architecture doing my dissertation in the field of lighting. I am trying to
identify if Radiance can simulate correctly the light ray movement within
the water. An actual swimming pool will be simulated and the data from
radiance will be compared to real time underwater light measurements. The
overall purpose is to identify if possible glare problems can be found with
the use of radiance before the actual construction of the swimming pool.

Reading all the previous mails about water I have found that dielectric
material is the most appropriate to use.

Apart from that mist pseudo-material has been suggested as well. Since my
light sources are not in the water but 3 or more meters above it, would you
suggest to create 2 mist volumes as it is described in RwR or avoid using
mist?

Any other suggestions are accepted since I am actually lost within all these
information

Thank you for your time

Sotiris Papantoniou
MSc Environmental Engineering