[Radiance-general] Basic daylighting and artificial lighting test(ambient value problem)

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:42:21 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Chris Yates<chris at zed-uk.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas, what if a small diameter radiance "cylinder" could be drawn
> around the edges with the light leaks? Like a kind of "silicone sealant"!
> As you know, I'm no coder but I'm guessing it could be python scripted from
> Sketchup.

Interesting idea. I don't know if this would have the desired effect, though,
or just introduce more interpolation errors.

> There'd be a small increase in rendering time. If the cylinder is
> small enough it won't show. Or, if the appropriate size and colour are
> selected you could achieve "cartoon edges"!

As intended graphical effect this is a nice way to do it. But if you
export simple scenes from the likes of ESP-r it should also be
possible to work out a wall thickness from the attributes of the wall.
If only a single room is exported it should be quit easy to apply an
offset to the floor outline and create two layers of polygons. Usually
the geometries in energy simulation apps are quite basic which
simplifies the calculation of intersections and openings.

But for the moment those are still features for the next generation
of exporters.

Thomas