[Radiance-general] Radiance

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Wed Jul 1 08:11:18 PDT 2009

I'm not sure what you mean by the "radiance scale factor". Are you trying to compute the cameras' response curves? As for your second question, you won't be able to calculate radiance from a single exposure, even if all the details about that exposure are known. The process you are describing requires a high dynamic range (HDR) image, which is comprised of multiple exposures. The typical minimum is three exposures separated by 2 f-stops each, but ideally the longest exposure should have zero black pixels and the shortest have no white pixels. This ideal is only necessary to capture scenes of extreme dynamic range, however.

Radiance-online.org also hosts an hdr mailing list which is definitely worth subscribing to:

Robert Guglielmetti  IES, LEED AP
Building Energy Efficiency Engineer
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
1617 Cole Blvd, MS-5202
Golden, CO 80401
robert.guglielmetti at nrel.gov
303.275.4319