[Radiance-general] IES file viewer

Zack Rogers zrogers at ideasi.com
Wed Jan 21 20:58:54 PST 2009

Hello, I would definitely like to see some more photometric friendly
features with in Radiance.  As it is, I typically go to other programs
when dealing with photometric files.  FYI, they are:

1) There is a free version of the Photometric Toolbox available here,
http://www.cooperlighting.com/content/design/etools.cfm
I believe this is just an older version of the software created by AGI
but provided for free by cooper.  I do not think it has all the features
that the new Lighting Technologies Photometric Toolbox has but it
definitely has some nice features, including a nice 3d photometric web
and 2d plot options for comparison with published data.
2) Visual 2.6 also has some nice photometric features including a
photometric web.  I believe this is available in the free "Basic"
version, it is definitely available in the "Pro" version.

I have heard of some efforts to link softwares with online photometric
databases to help avoid the cumbersome and mistake prone process of
finding the correct IES file for the luminaire (w/ options) that is
being modeled.  For example, Visual comes with all Acuity brand
photometrics already in the database - not sure if it can be updated
easily.  There is also a new xml format being developed by IESNA for the
transfer of Luminaire Component Data, separate from photometric data.
Part of the intent with this format is to link it more directly to
manufacturers.  Just thought I'd throw that out there as we discuss any
new photometric tools for Radiance.

Regards,
Zack