[Radiance-general] IES file viewer

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Wed Jan 21 13:18:53 PST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Mark de la Fuente wrote:

> I second Rob's comment.  I usually have to use AGI to check an IES
> file's orientation prior to bringing the file into Radiance.
> Especially when dealing with asymmetric distributions.

I wrote ltview many years ago, as another ies file viewer
(particularly for asymmetric distributions), too.  You can download a
copy at:

http://www.rumblestrip.org/downloads/files/ltview.tgz

ltview is just a modification of the objview utility that ships with
Radiance, and places a light fixture distribution (converted with the
ies2rad utility) centered in a box with some parameters crucial to the
proper rendering of a photometric distribution preset.  The
distribution is centered in the box and the view is preset looking
along the positive y axis.  It's configured for inches as the default
units, so if dealing with metric, use "-bs  .62" to scale the "box
size" to a more proper size.

But I am also interested in seeing this new 3D viewer!!

More info on ltview is located here:

http://www.rumblestrip.org/2004/05/10/ltview-a-radiance-utility/

- Rob Guglielmetti