[Radiance-general] rtrace vs. rview, mirror vs. metal or BRTD

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 10:51:18 PST 2009

Hi Germain,

The "mirror" type allows Radiance to find a small source like the sun
by creating a "virtual source" behind the mirrored surface.  The same
is not true for the other types you tried, which is why your -I
calculation came up empty.

With many mirrors in your scene, especially if they are not perfect
mirrors, you will probably need to use rtcontrib to send rays from
the direction of the sun and track them onto your object, estimating
the flux density by ray counting.  I think I mentioned this
possibility to you at the workshop.  Unfortunately, I don't have a
simple example to offer you showing how it's done, and it's not what
I would characterize as straightforward.

Essentially, you need to create a ray flux generator corresponding to
the solar beam radiation striking your mirror array.  You send these
rays into rtcontrib, specifying one or more materials to record ray
strikes on the heliostat receiver.  These get counted up and the
ratio of ray strikes to rays sent tells you the transfer efficiency.

Does this make sense?

-Greg