[Radiance-general] material trans and glass?

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Sun Dec 20 08:41:51 PST 2009

The formula I have to go from total transmission to transmissivity is

=(SQRT(0.8402528435+0.0072522239*Transmission^2)-0.9166530661)/0.0036261
19/Transmission

For trans definition from page 325-326 of Rendering with Radiance:

Where:

Cr,Cg,Cb are the diffuse reflectance in R,G,B channels, and Rd is the
photopic average of those.

Rs is reflected specularity (fraction reflected off first surface in
mirror fashion)

Sr is surface roughness similar to plastic

Td is diffuse transmissivity (fraction transmitted diffusely in a
scattering fashion)

Ts is fraction transmitted as a beam (like through clear glass, not
scattered)

In reverse order, the parameters for trans can be calculated as:

A7=Ts / (Td + Ts)

A6=(Td + Ts) / ( Rd + Td + Ts)

A5=Sr

A4=Rs

A3=Cb / ( (1-Rs)*(1-A6) )

A2=Cg / ( (1-Rs)*(1-A6) )

A1=Cr / ( (1-Rs)*(1-A6) )

Then the -st setting for rpict or rtrace should be:

St=A6*A7*( 1 - photopic average(A1,A2,A3) * A4 )