[Radiance-general] Mkillum bsdf + sample density

Andrew McNeil andrew.mcneil at arup.com
Thu Dec 10 16:17:04 PST 2009

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response, that d= option behavior makes sense now, but leads
to a question about the number of output directions in illum.dat...

My BSDF has 18 "latitudes"  and 24 "azimuths"  (432 divisions)
The resulting illum.dat is 13x39 = 507 angles

After considering your response, I guess the difference between 432 and 507
is a result of a BSDF pattern that doesn't match the typical radiance
hemisphere division scheme used by mkillum?

I'm guessing that mkillum gets from 432 to 507 by:
sqrt(432/pi) = 12
12*pi = 38
12+1 x 38+1  =  13 x 39  = 507
Am I close?  I don't have an explanation for adding one to each dimension.

Finally, the sampling pattern of my BSDF (18x24) and the hemisphere division
used by mkillum (13x39) results in double-sampling of some BSDF angles and
non-sampling of others.  In conclusion I would be best served by using the
typical radiance hemisphere division ( m x pi*m ) to generate a BSDF that
"agrees" with mkillum.  (or should I stop speculating...)

Andy