[Radiance-general] Parallel processes within rtcontrib

Marija Velickovic maricanis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 03:28:03 PST 2009

Hi all,

Does someone has an experience with parallel rtrace processes execution
within rtcontrib program?
This is set with -n option in rtcontrib, which in child rtrace processes
uses -PP option.

It works perfectly in Linux, but I couldn't make it work in Windows.

For command like this:
rtcontrib -n 2  -I+ -V- -h-  -b tbin -o outfile.txt -m sky  -f tregenza.cal
@param.opt octree.oct < points.txt

I've got errors:
bin/rtrace: fatal - command line error at '-PP'
rtcontrib: system - select call error in wait_rproc()
bin/rtrace: fatal - command line error at '-PP'

If started without -n option rtcontrib works without problems in both OS.

Since in Windows I'm using Francesco's MinGW Radiance binaries, I suspected
that my binaries aren't up to date.
I downloaded current Radiance version from CVS and rebuild all programs with
scons in Windows.
After that error remains the same, and -PP option in rtrace is not
recognized.

Greg suggested that is could be a problem with file locking, but no idea how
to solve this.
Maybe some variables/flags should be set during compilation on Windows!?

Any suggestions are welcome,
Marija