[Radiance-general] Shadow above highlight?

Andrew McNeil andrew.mcneil at arup.com
Thu Aug 13 16:31:25 PDT 2009

John,

I'm running your scene and am witnessing the same effect.  Interestingly the
dark spot still exists, it is just much less pronounced.

I am both able and unable to understand why this works.

Years ago I remember someone mentioning the impossibility of ambient
sampling normal to a surface and it's lingered in my mind ever since.  I've
always struggled with the ambient calculation's ability to sample the
horizon which technically contributes nothing to illuminance at a point
while it was unable to sample the zenith which contributes most to
illuminance.

I've thought about suggesting the range for ambient sampling switch from
[0,1) to (0,1]  but couldn't grasp the ramifications of the possibility of
sampling the zenith from all of the zenith adjacent ambient divisions.

It seems to me that statistically it isn't possible for this to make a
difference so maybe there is a bug in the ambient super sampling,  but it
also seems to me that statistically this must make a difference.

So I guess I'll just have to wait for Greg and others to weigh in...

Andy