[Radiance-general] Shadow above highlight?

Andrew McNeil andrew.mcneil at arup.com
Thu Aug 13 15:01:09 PDT 2009

John,

I'd also like to see your scene, but while I wait I'll go out on a limb:
AFAIK in radiance, an ambient sample ray is never emitted normal to a
surface.  I suspect your shadow results from the (slightly) decreased
probability of sampling the highlight from the area directly above the
highlight.  This effect can be compounded by the -as setting (which never
samples the upper edge of a division, but can sample the lower edge of a
division).

My suggestion: try a high ad value coupled with no ambient super samples.
-ad 20000 -as 0

As far as your comparison between raytracing and radiosity, You pick a scene
that plays to all the strengths of radiosity.  Radiosity with a dense mesh
produces a highly accurate result in relatively little time for scenes that
have very simple geometry and are limited to completely diffuse reflection
and completely specular transmission.

If you had semi-specular reflection, semi-diffuse transmission or complex
geometry raytracing is more likely to result in higher accuracy in less time
than radiosity.

Andy

On 8/13/09 1:58 PM, "Greg Ward" <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you send me your scene description, so I can have a look at it?
> This is the worst possible timing for me, but you're going to get
> nowhere unless you share your scene files.  It's impossible to deduce
> what's going wrong from an image.
>
> -Greg
>
>> From: schwaj3 at rpi.edu
>> Date: August 13, 2009 1:42:40 PM PDT
>>
>> Hmm, well no suggestions thus far has helped solve the problem I am
>> having. I think it would help if I explain what I am trying to do. I
>> am
>> attempting to validate radiosity calculations against a raytracer (in
>> this case Radiance). I am doing this with a simple example of a box
>> lit
>> only by direct sun and ambient bounces, so there is no sky
>> distribution.
>>
>> I have attempted many different rendering options, such as -aa 0 and
>> many
>> other "high quality" level options as recommended in the Rendering
>> with
>> Radiance book. These do not get rid of the problem. As you can see
>> in my
>> gensky below, the sun shouldn't be approaching the zenith, as it has
>> been
>> revealed can cause problems.
>>
>> I was reccommended to try using mkillum to turn the window into an
>> illum
>> surface. I have attempted this, but it doesn't appear to do
>> anything, so
>> I could be using it incorrectly? I am only using a single ambient
>> bounce
>> in my calculations because the shadow is still there even on higher
>> amounts, such as -ab 20. I decided -ab 1 would make it easier to track
>> down the problem as well as take less computation time.
>>
>> Any more thoughts on what could be causing this? Could it be a problem
>> with gensky similar to the zenith problem maybe?
>>
>> --John Schwartz
>>
>>> From: schwaj3 at rpi.edu
>>> Date: July 27, 2009 3:41:40 PM PDT
>>>
>>> I am fairly stumped as to what is going on here. I have a box with a
>>> square hole, 1/3 x 1/3 the width of the box, to allow sunlight into
>>> my room.
>>>
>>> I am using the following gensky to attempt to only light the room
>>> using
>>> sunlight.
>>> !gensky 6 21 12:00EST -a 40.77 -o 73.967 -g 0.0 +s
>>> skyfunc glow sky_glow
>>> 0
>>> 0
>>> 4 0 0 0 0