[Radiance-general] Using SSLD skies with sun

Phillip Greenup Phillip.Greenup at arup.com
Wed Aug 12 01:23:01 PDT 2009

Hi Lars,

The SSLD sky generator creates a diffuse sky distribution.  If you don't put a sun in there, there won't be one.  If you're sky model involves a diffuse sky that is brightest in the sun direction, but the sun itself is not directly visible, then you'll just need to ensure you get the diffuse horizontal illuminance you're looking for (and that's the hard part - what should the diffuse horizontal illuminance be?).

So you won't end up with two sun definitions.  And you control the diffuse and direct components of global horizontal illuminance.  If the sun is not visible, it shouldn't be in the model, the direct illuminance component will be zero and the global will equal the diffuse illuminance.

This is assuming you are using my old SSLD sky generator / cal file.  Could be a different story if you're using something else?

Cheers,
Phil.